7 Amazing Benefits of Indian Sandalwood Essential Oil
Do you struggle with skin blemishes?
Do you experience mood swings?
Is your temper getting uncontrollable?
Sandalwood or Santalum album is a name which is given to a specific class of fragrant woods. However, unlike other aromatic ones, these are capable of retaining their own fragrance for years to come. As such, both the wood and the oil which derives from it have been highly cherished for long years. This is why sandalwood is known to have a very broad history of different applications. There are two main types of sandalwood – Indian and Hawaiian and they both reveal strong potential. However, the Indian type definitely has quite a lot to bring on the table. It was traditionally used for enhancing meditation practices. Egyptians, on the other hand, used it for embalming.
What is Sandalwood Essential Oil?
- Scientific Name: Santalum album
- Application: Aromatic, topical, internal
- Plant Part: Heartwood
- Extraction Method: Steam Distillation
- Aromatic Description: Woody, sweet and rather dry
- Main Chemical Components: alpha-santalol
- It can promote healthier looking skin and repair skin imperfections
- The oil might significantly enhance and uplift your mood
- It may also provide cardiovascular support
How to Use Sandalwood Oil
It can be used through the three different application methods – aromatic, topical and internal. However, it’s worth noting that each one of them will bring different benefits. This is why you might want to take this into account so you can target particular conditions. This is very beneficial. Of course, there is no harm in combining some of the uses together.
Sandalwood Essential Oil Uses
- Aromatic Use: You can easily diffuse a few drops of the oil in your bedroom. This may help you get that much desired restful good night’s sleep.
- Topical Use: The best way to apply the oil topically is if you mix it with your moisturizer. This may bring back that shiny glow of your skin and rejuvenate it.
- Internal Use: You can also consume the oil internally.
Directions for Use:
There are some things that you might want to take into account when using the oil. Right off the bat, you might want to make sure to use carrier oil when diluting it. However, this is one of the oils which don’t make it absolutely critical to do so. Furthermore, if you will be using it internally, please make sure to follow the proportions. The general rule of thumb is one drop per every 4 fl. oz. of liquid. Also, when you diffuse it, you should not put more than three or four drops.
Sandalwood Essential Oil Health Benefits
- The oil might promote support to your cardiovascular system. This is definitely something important to account for.
- One of the most prominent benefits of the oil is enhanced mood. Regardless of whether you are going to diffuse it or inhale it after rubbing oil into your palms, your mood might get significantly uplifted.
- Also, if you inhale sandalwood from your hands regularly, this may induce a very calming sensation. That’s the perfect way to relieve some stress throughout the busy working day.
- The oil might promote healthier and smoother skin condition.
- Fill up a larger bowl with hot steaming water. After you are through with this, place a drop or two of the oil on your face and cover it with a soft towel. Put your face above the steaming water in order to create a DIY spa procedure.
- If you are having a stressful day, diffuse up to three drops of the oil in your office and this will promote the feeling of relaxation and comfort.
- Adding the oil to your moisturizer or shampoo may help you bring back the shiny glow of your hair and skin. This is without a doubt something that you might want to take into account.
Sandalwood Essential Oil Research
Indian sandalwood oil is the more commonly encountered type, even though it’s known for growing a bit slower. This is also the main reason for which its production is being reduced with time. However, it is indigenous to the country of India, hence the name. This particular type of oil is very popular in aromatherapy. What is more, it’s overly known for the skin benefits that it might be able to deliver. If you are struggling with skin imperfections, this is definitely one of the things that may help you out. Even though these advantages have been reported by countless of people throughout the entire world, the FDA is yet to officially recognize the oil for its medicinal properties.
Sandalwood Essential Oil Nutrition
The oil itself doesn’t bring any substantial nutritional qualities. Of course, it’s also worth noting that this is not its main designation. It may bring an array of other health benefits, especially if you use it for a prolonged period of time. Even though it’s widely known for its aromatherapy properties, it might also provide cardiovascular support as well as significant benefits for your skin and hair condition. As such, it’s commonly used as a replacement for over-the-counter skin cosmetics. What is more, if you inhale sandalwood oil, regardless of whether it’s from your palms directly after rubbing it or during aromatherapy sessions, this may induce strong anti-stress sensation. That’s why a lot of people prefer to diffuse a few drops while they are in their office in order to ensure that the workday goes smoother than ever.
Sandalwood Essential Oil Safety
You should refrain from using the oil throughout your pregnancy. That’s important unless your gynecologist gives his explicit permission. The same is true if you are undergoing any type of special medical treatment. Furthermore, when it comes to topical application, it is advisable that you use carrier oils. Even though direct application is usually allowed, you shouldn’t risk any skin irritations, especially if you are applying it to more sensitive areas. Of course, you should keep it away from direct contact with kids and you should ensure that it doesn’t come in touch with your eyes or inner ears.
Sandalwood Essential Oil Substitute
It is known to be a prominent skin-enhancing substance. That’s the main reason for which you might want to consider substituting it for your over-the-counter cosmetics. The latter are probably infused with artificial substances as well as with chemicals while sandalwood oil is an entirely natural compound. Furthermore, you can easily use it instead of your regular air fresheners and this may help you with stress-relief. What is more, it’s going to create an atmosphere of relaxation.
Sandalwood Essential Oil Blends Well With
The oil is mainly known for its powerful aromatherapy properties. As such, blending it with other strong aromatic oils is going to emphasize on these qualities. Some appropriate blends include lavender, rosemary, rose, bergamot, melaleuca as well as roman chamomile. On the other hand, if you want to place the emphasis towards the skin benefits that the oil may provide, you can mix it with some citrus oils such as lemon, orange or grapefruit, for instance. In any case, the oil is known to be rather versatile so blending it with other essences shouldn’t cause any issues.
Indian sandalwood essential oil is amongst the most versatile products on the market. It goes well in a range of different blends. As such, it may also bring a variety of powerful health benefits. It has been around for quite some time and people have been taking advantage of its properties for years. Unfortunately, its slower growth speed makes it a bit inefficient in terms of industrial production and that’s why its Hawaiian counterpart slowly starts to replace it on the market.
There are countless of people who continuously report the benefits of Indian sandalwood oil. It has been around for long years and it’s widely used as part of different aromatherapy sessions. Unfortunately, science is yet to conclusively determine its properties. The FDA has not approved these claims. That’s why it hasn’t received an approval yet. As of now, it’s highly unadvisable that you substitute it for any of your professionally prescribed medications.
Download your FREE Essential Oils Quick Reference Guide
Print out this chart for an easy reference guide on how to use the 46 most popular essential oils!
- Always know how to use each oil correctly
- Downloadable, Printable, Saveable
- 100% Free!