Astounding Benefits of Fennel Essential Oil
Are you looking for a healthy supplement to help you lose weight?
Do you want to improve your body’s respiratory functions?
Do you want an all-purpose supplement to promote your overall well-being?
The healthy benefits of fennel have been recognized for thousands of years, with its use dating as far back as the days of the ancient Roman empire. Its licorice aroma and flavor are an acquired taste for some, but its benefits are every bit as strong as its flavor. It is most frequently recognized for its ability to improve digestive function, improve metabolism, and even curb unhealthy cravings. These are just a few of the reasons that this amazing oil is a recommended addition to any weight-loss diet, and its unique flavor makes an instant impact on any culinary dish.
What is Fennel Essential Oil?
- Scientific Name: Foeniculum vulgare
- Application: Aromatic, topical, internal
- Plant Part: Seed
- Extraction Method: Steam distillation
- Aromatic Description: Sweet, licorice
- Main Chemical Components: alpha-pinene, e-anethole, fenchol
- Promotes healthy digestive functions
- Boosts metabolism and curbs unhealthy cravings
- Supports respiratory health
How to Use Fennel Essential Oil
Fennel is most widely recognized as a fantastic natural supplement to assist with weight loss. Adding its essential oil to a diet can help the body to break down food and absorb nutrients faster, as well as jumpstart the metabolism and help to stave off unhealthy “sweet tooth” cravings.
Directions for Use:
- Aromatic: Add 3-4 drops to a diffuser, or dilute a drop with carrier oil and place directly beneath the nose.
- Topical: Dilute with a carrier oil and apply directly to the body in desired area.
- Internal: Drink with 4 fluid ounces for every drop of oil consumed.
Fennel Essential Oil Uses
- Add a drop or two to a glass of water or tea to help calm unhealthy cravings.
- Use in the kitchen to add a unique depth to the flavor of any dish – especially popular in desserts!
- Dilute with a carrier oil and apply to wounds as an antiseptic to minimize the risks of infection and inflammation.
- Consume 2-3 drops in a glass of water to regulate the digestive process or relieve a state of constipation.
- May also be used to clear up deposits of mucus in the respiratory system, alleviating congestion and improving respiratory function.
Fennel Essential Oil Health Benefits
- Consumption can support healthy, regular digestive function. This contributes to regularity and ease of bowel movements as well and minimizes the risk of indigestion or discomfort following meals.
- May be an effective supplement to reduce chronic coughs or congestive symptoms of colds. It is an expectorant, which means that it may dispel the buildup of phlegm or mucus to provide relief from congestion, and also promotes overall respiratory health.
- Massage directly into the skin to produce a calming, comforting effect. Some have noted that this can lessen discomfort associated with menstruation.
- Consumption of this oil can have positive effects on many of the body’s systems. It can encourage healthy blood flow to improve cardiovascular health, soothe tension to benefit the nervous system, and support the immune system in general to boost overall health.
- This essential oil is a natural laxative which, unlike commercially sold alternatives, has very few (if any) side effects and can be used regularly to alleviate chronic constipation issues.
- Use as a stimulant for many systems in the body, including the brain and nervous systems. This stimulating effect can be used to dispel the effects of dizziness and fatigue.
- Drink a drop or two in a glass of tea to help to curb “sweet tooth” cravings.
- May help to clear out excess stores of the naturally occurring toxins and hormones in the bloodstream.
Fennel Essential Oil Research
The use of fennel oil dates back to the Roman era, where warriors and gladiators are rumored to have used it before battle to inspire strength. Today, it is still used to promote strength, but particularly in the sense of fortifying internal systems rather than seeking actual physical strength. The seeds of this tall, wispy plant are crushed and steam-distilled to collect the plant’s essential oil. Its benefits are varied and well-known, and as such it has achieved significant popularity as an “all-purpose” supplement to promote many forms of health and wellness.
Fennel Essential Oil Nutrition
Fennel oil is not a vitamin or mineral supplement in and of itself, and as such does not directly yield any nutritional benefits. However this oil can be ingested to promote a state of overall wellness for many bodily functions, including but not limited to many of the bodily systems that support the processing of nutrients taken in the form of foods or supplements. One noted property of using this oil is that it is an effective diuretic, and improves the function of both the liver and kidneys so that they can effectively filter out toxins from the body. It also promotes healthy digestive function, and supports the body’s ability to efficiently absorb nutrients during the digestive process. These claims are not approved by the FDA and have not been backed by published scientific studies.
Fennel Essential Oil Safety
This oil contains an organic component that boosts the production of estrogen. While this compound is safe to consume, and is beneficial for breastfeeding mothers, expectant women should avoid ingesting fennel oil as a result, as should women with breast and uterine cancer. Additionally, users should note that consumption in large doses can have a narcotic effect and, in a small number of cases, may result in hallucinations or convulsions. As such anyone with a history of epilepsy should refrain from using this particular oil. Users with sensitive skin should dilute with a carrier oil or lotion prior to topical use in order to minimize the risk of irritation. The use of essential oils should not be substituted for any prescribed medication for any medical condition, and should not be used against the advice of a medical practitioner.
Fennel Essential Oil Substitutes
While fennel oil can have many positive effects on the body, users should note that these benefits are not backed by scientific studies. As mentioned throughout this article, essential oils should never be substituted medications prescribed by a doctor or against the recommendation of a medical practitioner. However the benefits of this essential oil can be used to complement medications and supplements that target specific ailments to compound their beneficial effects. For example, using this oil in conjunction with a prescribed decongestant can increase the effectiveness of the prescribed medication.
Fennel Essential Oil Blends Well With
Fennel oil can be blended with other like-acting oils to compound the beneficial effects of both oils. To further boost the metabolism, for example, try combining with other “kickstart” oils such as grapefruit or coriander. There are many other oils that are known to boost digestive function as well, and combining two or more into a post-dinner drink (diluted with water or tea of course) can create a powerful digestion-boosting tonic. Some options to consider might be peppermint, lavender, cumin, or thyme. Its distinctive taste and aroma may be difficult to blend, but test combinations until you find complements that you love! Softer or more herbal flavors, such as eucalyptus, basil, or rose may be a good place to start.
Some other potential pairings include: black pepper, bergamot, cinnamon bark, cypress, geranium, juniper berry, lemon, myrrh, patchouli, rosemary, and tangerine.
Don’t let the strong odor and flavor of this amazing oil deter you! It can have numerous positive effects on many systems of your body, from supporting the nervous system to reducing feelings of anxious moods and tension to opening up respiratory tracts. Its ability to support the digestive system and boost metabolism makes fennel a particularly effective supplement to promote weight loss. Be sure to investigate the many benefits contained in this article – you don’t want to miss out on the incredible benefits of this versatile essential oil!
Will fennel oil really help you lose weight? Users should note that the FDA does not evaluate the health benefits of essential oils and that there are no published and scientifically backed studies that support this claim. As such they oils should never be used in place of prescribed medication or specifically to treat or diagnose any illness, nor should they be used against the advice of a doctor. However avid users of essential oils have reported feeling healthier and losing weight more easily when supplementing healthy lifestyle practices with fennel oil, and similar testimonials exist for the other benefits detailed in this article.