Essential Oils for Thyroid Health
It is the job of the thyroid gland to produce hormones that influence practically all of your metabolic processes. The main thyroid hormone secreted by the gland is thyroxine, also known as T4. The T4 hormone and other hormones secreted by the thyroid gland indirectly control growth, metabolism, body temperature, and your development.
It is especially essential for the brain development of an infant or child that he or she receives an adequate amount of thyroid hormones during their infancy and childhood years.
When your thyroid gland regulates your metabolism, brain functions, emotions, and your body’s other functions incorrectly, the result can be a thyroid disease. According to the American Thyroid Association, over 20 million Americans suffer from a type of thyroid disease.
Thyroid diseases include the following:
- Hyperthyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland is overactive and it releases too many hormones.
- Hypothyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland is underactive and doesn’t release enough hormones.
- Thyroid nodules are lumps which appear in the thyroid gland. It is rare, but these lumps can become cancerous.
There has been medical research to determine whether essential oils can be used to promote thyroid health. However, no correlation has been found.
On the other hand, there has been anecdotal evidence based on studies suggesting that the symptoms of some thyroid conditions can be lessened by essential oils. Let’s take a look at the use of essential oils to treat some common thyroid conditions.
If your thyroid gland is too active, it will produce too much of a thyroid hormone. Distinctive symptoms of this condition include anxiety, weight loss, muscle weakness, and irregularities in your heartbeat. Your thyroid gland, which is located at the front of your neck and below your Adam’s apple, may feel inflamed or appear inflamed.
The essential oils used to relieve the hyperthyroidism are:
Essential oils have been found to help a person get some relief of the hyperthyroidism symptoms, but they do not stop a person from producing too many thyroid hormones. You can also try using the same essential oils to help with the symptoms of thyroid nodules.
Essential Oils For Thyroid
The lemongrass plant is a tropical and grassy plant. It has been used as
herbal medicine and in cooking as well. Lemongrass essential oil is pulled out from the stalks and leaves of the lemongrass plant.
Both high blood pressure and problems with digestion have been treated with the lemongrass essential oil. However, it has been found to have a number of other health benefits. When used as an aromatherapy tool, it has been found to relieve anxiety, stress, and depression.
Benefits of Lemongrass:
- Anti-inflammatory Properties – Topically apply lemongrass oil to your inflamed or swollen thyroid area. A studyconducted in 2014 found that mice treated with the lemongrass essential oil showed anti-inflammatory abilities. Lemongrass also inhibited pro-inflammatory cytokines production in another study.
- Lemongrass can also relieve the shaking of hands and limbs caused by a person’s overactive thyroids.
- The aromatherapy of Lemongrass, when combined with almond massage oil during a massage’s
effects, was found to reduce blood pressure, anxiety, and stress during a 2015 study.
- Lemongrass can also act as a sedative. When it does, it will help a person get to sleep faster.
How to Use Lemongrass:
A safe way to drink the lemongrass essential oil is in tea.
- You can make the tea by adding a few dried or fresh lemongrass leaves to two cups of boiling water.
- Then steep the tea for several minutes.
- Strain the tea and enjoy.
- Of course, you should check with your doctor before ingesting this essential oil.
Are you having trouble sleeping? If so, perhaps it’s because your thyroid is overactive. The perfect thing for you to be in a relaxed, calmer state and able to get to sleep easy is lavender oil aromatherapy. Try it, and for sure you’ll no longer have trouble getting to sleep.
If you suffer from insomnia, a treatment you should try is lavender essential oil. An easy method to induce sleep is lavender aromatherapy.
A study by a team of researchers found that 67 women in Taiwan between the ages of 45 to 55 significantly improved the quality of their sleep with the use of lavender aromatherapy. You can try rubbing a few drops of lavender essential oil onto your bedsheet and pillowcase, and you’ll find it very easy to fall asleep.
Besides being a sleep aid, lavender essential oil can also reduce your anxiety and stress, relieve pain, and get rid of nervous tension.
How to Use Lavender Essential Oil:
- My favorite way to use lavender essential oil is through the use of a diffuser.
- Add a few drops of the oil to the diffuser and turn it on.
- The oil’s aroma will then be released sending you to heaven.
When Frankincense acts as an anti-inflammatory, it reduces joint inflammation caused by both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis. A person’s inflammation is usually caused by leukotrienes, compounds that cause inflammation. Frankincense prevents the release of the leukotrienes.
Anti-inflammatory compounds such as Boswellic and Terpenes acids are the toughest anti-inflammatory compounds in Frankincense. The advantage of the Boswellic acids in Frankincense is that they have less negative side effects but they are as effective as the NSAIDs, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
A hyperactive thyroid has been known to be the cause of dry skin. You can relieve the flaking and itching of dry skin if you rub a few drops of Frankincense oil on your dry skin.
Frankincense has also been known to heal dry skin. However, since Frankincense oil is rather potent, it’s a good idea to dilute it before applying. You can dilute Frankincense oil with other oils such as jojoba or almond. These other oils can also add to the soothing effect of the Frankincense oil.
How to Use Frankincense Essential Oil:
- Frankincense can be purchased at Amazon, CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart, or a Supermarket. You should follow the manufacturer’s directions.
- It has been reported that applying Frankincense topically over your thyroid improved the hormone levels of the thyroid.
- The use of Frankincense regularly has also been reported to make thyroid nodules smaller.
Wintergreen oil is made by steaming the leaves of the wintergreen herb. It is usually used to relieve pain caused by arthritis, headache, inflammation, and nerves such as sciatica.
The Menthyl Salicylate in the wintergreen essential oil makes it highly poisonous if ingested. IT SHOULD NEVER BE INGESTED. Its child safety cap should always be used.
The only method of application of Wintergreen essential oil to relieve pain is to apply it topically and directly to a person’s skin. When used topically, it is often used to relieve your achy joints caused by rheumatism, lower back pain, or sore muscles.
Two ways to apply the wintergreen essential oil:
- As a foot soak – Mix the wintergreen essential oil with Epsom salt. The oil will sooth your feet, and its aroma will help you to relax.
- As a sugar scrub – Mix the following ingredients in a small bowl:
o ¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons of V-6 Vegetable Oil
o 3 drops Lavender
o 5 drops Bergamot
o 2 drops Wintergreen
o 2 drops Royal Hawaiian-Sandalwood
o ¾ cup raw sugar
o Mix V-6 oil with essential oils in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the raw sugar in a bigger bowl. Combine the mixture thoroughly. Store in a jar that is airtight.
Sandalwood essential oil is made from the wood of the sandalwood tree. If you want healthy skin, muscles, bones, and a healthy nervous system, you might want to try the sandalwood essential oil.
Sandalwood is known to have a positive impact on a person’s brain. Its aromatic influence is widely known to have the ability to improve a person’s emotional well-being.
Feeling anxious is common for lots of people suffering from overactive thyroids. Therefore, the sandalwood essential oil is a wonderful option for you if you’re feeling anxious.
People who suffer from anxiety have found the relaxing and calming properties of sandalwood oil to be helpful when experiencing restless symptoms.
Before using sandalwood essential oil, take the following precautions:
- Test your skin to determine if it is sensitive to this essential oil.
- Avoid excessive use that may develop a skin sensitivity to this essential oil.
- Keep the oil out of your ears, nose or eyes.
- Test the specific brands of the oil and use only as recommended by its manufacturer.
How to Use Sandalwood Essential Oil:
- Combine the Sandalwood Essential Oil with one of the carrier oils such as sweet almond, jojoba, or avocado.
- Apply the oil to your skin or add it to a bath.
- Another method to try is to inhale the oil after you sprinkle a few drops onto a tissue or cloth.
- You can also use an aromatherapy diffuser or vaporizer.
6. Pine Essential Oil
Most people with overactive thyroids suffer from anxiety. An essential oil that will help a person to be calm and focus better is the pine essential oil.
Pine oil can also help when you are mentally stressed, and it can also elevate your mood as it relieves both your anxiety and nervous tension. The effects of the pine oil are very similar to those of the sandalwood essential oils.
If you suffer from joint pain caused by arthritis or rheumatic conditions, you might try pine essential oil for relief of the pain. Since pine oil is also an anti-inflammatory, it can also help to reduce the redness of inflamed areas on your body and to eliminate your pain as well.
How to Extract Pine Essential Oil:
- Step 1: Pick fresh, green needles of a juniper, fir, or spruce tree.
- Step 2: Put the needles in a jar.
- Step 3: Pour enough alcohol in the jar to cover the needles.
- Step 4: Allow the jar to sit for two to three weeks.
- Step 5: Pour the extract into a spray bottle
When a person’s thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough thyroxine, the thyroid hormone, his or her thyroid is said to be underactive. The cause of the thyroid gland not producing enough of the thyroid hormone is due to an endocrine system disorder.
The symptoms of this condition include a feeling of being tired constantly, not being able to tolerate cold, depression, constipation, and weight gain. There may also be some swelling at the front of a person’s neck.
The essential oils usually used to combat the symptoms of this condition include myrrh, spearmint, peppermint, rose geranium, Frankincense, and cedarwood.
Similar to the way Frankincense is used, Myrrh can also be applied directly over your thyroid gland in order to combat the symptoms of an under-active thyroid.
Myrrh can be an anti-inflammatory agent. You can mix a few drops of myrrh with frankincense or sweet almond oil to create a powerful topical remedy.
You can use myrrh oil to relieve both anxiety and stress.
How to Use Myrrh Essential Oil:
- In order to do this, drop one to two drops of myrrh oil into a handkerchief.
- Inhale its scent.
- You can also try to use a Myrrh roll-on to apply a little to your forehead and temples.
Hypothyroidism often causes aching joints. The spearmint essential oil can act as an analgesic when used to relieve the pain of a person’s joint.
Besides relieving pain, spearmint essential oil can also have a relaxing
effect on a person’s brain. This oil has also been known to cure a
person’s headaches and to also protect a person’s brain.
The Appropriate Dose of Spearmint Essential Oil:
- Since the right dose of spearmint essential oil for a person depends on the person’s age and health. You should check with your physician or a healthcare professional before using this oil.
- Remember that natural products aren’t always safe.
When spearmint essential oil is ineffective, an alternative for spearmint
oil could be peppermint. Since peppermint has a higher concentration
of menthol, it can provide the same benefits as the spearmint oil.
A person suffering with hypothyroidism most likely finds it difficult to
get any work done. He or she may find that if work is to be done, it is
necessary to fight an urge to nap.
Besides suffering with many headaches, a person suffering from
hypothyroidism may also have difficulty concentrating. Perhaps,
peppermint can help.
How to Take Peppermint Essential Oil:
- In order to fight feeling nausea and a sluggish metabolism, add
peppermint to a cup of herbal, decaffeinated tea.
10. Rose Geranium Essential Oil
If you’re sensitive to menthol, a better anti-inflammatory option that is
both safe and natural could be rose geranium oil. This oil can also give
a person relief of nerve pain. When used for nerve pain, it can be
Before using Rose Geranium Oil:
- You should consult with your physician, pharmacist, or a healthcare professional.
- Labels on the product can also give you relevant directions. The reason advice by a healthcare professional is needed is that a safe dosage depends on many factors such as your age, weight, and health.
Whether you suffer from hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, you can
have a better quality of life by using essential oils. Our ancestors may
have had to forage the forests thousands of years ago for relief, but we
do not. We are lucky to have the use therapeutic grade essential oils
mentioned above that can be purchased in a little bottle available.
Download your FREE Essential Oils Quick Reference Guide
Get instant access to your Essential Oils Quick Reference Guide.