‘Essential’ Essential Oils For Your Muscle Pain
Your body goes through a lot of pressure and stress on a daily basis whether you like it or not. This is especially a common case if you live an active lifestyle.
These painful sensations are caused by soreness and inflammation in our muscles and while it may seem like the pain is bearable for a certain amount of time, you’ll come to know later on that your movements will be limited because of these issues.
These issues are fixed in an array of ways the most common being through over-the-counter medications. However, if you are an athlete, you might not want to fill your body with pill after pill after pill.
You might also be one of those people with a body that reacts differently to medication. As such, you are most likely looking for alternative treatments for your body and muscle pain.
One treatment that you should look into is essential oils. This extensive selection of naturally-made products is being used to treat various simple conditions which include body and muscle pain. This might just be the remedy you are looking for.
Of course, you are mistaken if you think you can just barge into any store and buy any essential oil that you see. As there are countless oils to choose from, you must at least have an idea of what exact oil you need.
That’s why we’re listing down some of the best essentials oils that you need if you are suffering from body and muscle pain.
Essential Oils For Muscle Pain
This oil is extracted from the fragrant lavender plant. For pain and muscle relief, lavender essential oils are used topically. This means you simply need to apply it to the area in pain.
After a few minutes or so, you will feel fast relief right at the place you applied this oil too. If you’re going to use this, follow these steps:
- Mix lavender oil with base oils such as coconut or jojoba.
- Place a few drops of it on your hands or in the affected area.
- Massage gently for a few minutes or until the oil is thoroughly spread across the area.
- If you know someone who is well-versed in aromatherapy massage, then you can ask them for help.
Lavender essential oil is versatile and is not limited to aromatherapy massages for muscle pain. Some of its benefits are that it can alleviate stress, relax your mind, and improve sleep quality.
It is a very popular essential oil among fans of the product and it’s a great starting oil if you want to try out this alternative treatment.
Thyme essential oil has been a very popular medicinal oil used in various cultures and countries. It is typically used as an antidote for venom and poisons.
If you want to use it to relieve yourself of muscle pain, then you should use it as a massage oil. It is a powerful analgesic as well so results can come by very quickly.
- Mix two parts thyme essential oil with one part carrier oil.
- Place in essential area and massage thoroughly or until the oil is evenly spread.
- To make the mixture more potent, you can slightly heat up the oil. Wait for it to cool down before using once again.
What makes the thyme essential oil mixture so effective is that it has antiseptic properties. This help reduces the swelling and inflammation in the areas it is applied in. Women suffering from dysmenorrhea could massage the affected area with the thyme essential oil mixture for instant relief.
3. Hemp Essential Oil
A rather controversial oil because of its origins, hemp oil can be used in a variety of ways if you are looking for an alternative treatment to muscle pain. You can ingest hemp oil directly or you can also use it as a massage oil if you are not too fond of how it tastes. Either way, expect relief in a few minutes or so.
- If you are going to take it orally, place 2-3 drops of hemp oil under your tongue.
- Ideally, you can add it to certain food items like shakes and smoothies to hide the rather earthy taste of hemp oil.
- If you are going to use it topically, simply place a few drops of the oil on the affected area first.
- Once done, rub or massage the area gently or until the oil is thoroughly spread.
Hemp oil is an effective treatment for inflammation and pain thanks to the cannabis compound called cannabidiol (CDB). It is one of its biggest selling points but it has other uses as well.
Compared to other essential oils, you might have a few issues procuring yourself a bottle of hemp oil as there are a few restrictions on the plant legally. Before buying one online, make sure that hemp and hemp oil is legal where you are.
4. Chamomile Essential Oil
If you are suffering from chronic pain such as ones caused by arthritis, then your best alternative treatment involving an essential oil is chamomile essential oil. When used properly, this oil will instantly relieve pain that’s brought about by arthritis and what’s great about it is that you don’t need to apply it directly on your body.
- Start running a warm bath.
- Place a few drops of Roman chamomile oil on the water.
- Stay in the warm bath for a few minutes or so.
- You can massage certain areas gently if you are experiencing heavy pain in them.
You can also use chamomile as a massage oil but you must first mix it with base oils like coconut oil and jojoba. Simply use it to massage a specific part of your body wherein pain is present. This oil can penetrate the deeper skin layers to help relieve the pain of arthritis. You can use this oil as much as you want as it has no heavy side effects.
Eucalyptus oils are very effective pain relievers. One of the most effective ones in this field is peppermint essential oils. Like menthol ointments, peppermint essential oils are best used for massaging.
- Mix a few drops of the oil with a neutral carrier oil including jojoba or olive oil.
- Massage in the affected area for as long as you want and as many times a day as you prefer.
The cooling effect in the peppermint essential oil helps soothe any tired or sore muscles effectively. It is a cheap and relatively common oil as well so you won’t have troubles getting this oil.
Ginger oils are strong and aromatic. The zingibain that’s present in ginger oil is a great anti-inflammatory agent that can reduce muscle pain, backaches and swelling. You can reap the benefits of ginger oil and zingibain simply when applied to a warm compress.
Simply place the compress into the affected area for a few minutes while you relax and the pain will be gone. Ideally, you can also use it as a massage oil.
- Ginger oil is effective as is but for massaging, ready a base oil first.
- Create a 2 is to 1 mixture of the two oils.
- Apply to the affected area and massage thoroughly.
- Repeat several times a day.
This oil originates from China, West Africa and several other parts of the world. It is readily available in various markets. If you really want to fully utilize the wonders of this essential oil, be sure to blend it with orange or lavender essential oils. Doing so will make the oil more effective and it will relieve the pain a lot faster as well.
This is another common oil found in most stores that sell these products. It is best used topically through massages. Again, it is advisable to mix this oil with carrier oils as well. Remember, if there are areas you can’t reach, feel free to find a person that can help you with the massaging phase.
- Mix two parts frankincense essential oil and one part carrier oil. You can use standard oils like jojoba for this.
- Once diluted, simply apply the resulting oil to the affected area.
- Rub and massage gently until the oil is thoroughly spread or dry.
Frankincense essential oil is created from gum resin of Boswellia trees that are found in North Africa and the Arabian Peninsula. It’s primarily used as a pain reliever so expect instead relief shortly after the massage.
Aside from being a great pain reliever, it can be used as a potent anti-inflammatory agent and sedative so you can rid yourselves of physical discomfort.
For countless years, the oil extracted from clove has been used as a powerful analgesic. It is also one of the more versatile oils you can buy as it can be used as a massage oil when diffused with carrier oils.
It can also be used as an addition to your bath water. However, if you want to relax while getting the benefits of this special oil, then you need to get an oil diffuser to inhale this oil directly.
- Ready your oil diffuser and add a few milliliters of water depending on what the instruction dictates.
- Place a few drops of the clove essential oil on the water.
- Relax and exhale the resulting scent from the clove essential oil.
If your body is sore and in pain after a day’s worth of hard work and physical activities, you can cap it off well by sleeping while your oil diffuser is running.
If a clove essential oil is running through your diffuser, then expect to wake up feeling fresh and strong. Of course, your body will be free from the pain and soreness as well.
If you have a little more to spend for an essential oil, then you should get helichrysum essential oil. It is used in aromatherapy and it is one of the priciest oils you can get. Of course, that price comes with great benefits as this oil is mostly known for its pain-relieving properties.
You can use it as a massage oil but you may want to inhale the aroma this oil gives off as it smells really great and it’s relaxing too.
- Ready your diffuser and place in the right amount of water.
- Place a few drops of the helichrysum essential oil. The more drops you add in, the stronger the scent will be.
- Inhale the scent while you relax in peace.
This oil is extracted from the helichrysum plant which is a form of a sunflower. As a pain reliever, helichrysum is able to reduce inflammation. It is also antispasmodic and analgesic.
If you really want an essential oil that’s solely for pain relief, then this is the right one for you. It will be very effective for joint pains. Just expect to pay more than you use to for this oil.
10. Arnica Essential Oil
If you are looking for oils that are used for specific pains, then arnica is the right oil for you. You can buy arnica essential oils from most stores.
This oil is typically used for massaging so that means you have to buy some base or carrier oils as well. Luckily, these oils are very common in supermarkets already.
- Dilute the arnica essential oil into a carrier oil. There are some arnica oils that are already infused with carrier oils so you may want this.
- Apply in affected area and massage gently.
Arnica essential oils are mostly used for osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel issues and muscle pains that are caused by heavy physical activity including exercises. People who use this oil feel less pain in the affected area for over 72 hours so if you are an athlete that trains regularly, this might be a good supplement to your training.
There are many other essential oils you can use to relieve yourself of muscle pain. If you want to test these oils out for yourself, then go check out online and physical retailers that sell essential oils. They are bound to have most if not all of these oils in stock. Feel free to experiment with these oils if you want but just make sure to ask the maker of the oils about which method is the product most effective in.
Download your FREE Essential Oils Quick Reference Guide
Get instant access to your Essential Oils Quick Reference Guide.