Essential Oils For Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is a condition or disorder that affects your muscles and bones. The condition causes musculoskeletal pain, and it is characterized by sleep, fatigue, mood, and memory problems. Fibromyalgia is believed to increase painful sensations because it affects how the brain processes pain.
You also need to know that this condition is more likely to affect women than men. The symptoms of fibromyalgia vary from one person to the next, and it has no cure. However, there are various methods that can help you to manage the condition such as exercise, medication, healthy habits, and using essential oils among others.
Here are some of the symptoms of fibromyalgia
- Memory and concentration issues
- Extreme fatigue
- Enhanced sensitivity to pain/ widespread pain
- Sleep issues
- Enhanced responsiveness to sensory stimuli like smell, cold, heat, and light
The condition can also be accompanied by several painful conditions, including migraines, irritable bowel syndrome, temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJ), and painful bladder syndrome.
Causes of fibromyalgia
It is not quite clear about the main causes of fibromyalgia, but doctors believe that it can be caused by the following
- Your gender – women are more likely to have it
- Physical or emotional trauma
- Some infections
- If you have a prevalent mood disorder
- If you hardly exercise
- Disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, or lupus
Essential Oils That Can Help to Manage Fibromyalgia
Here are some of the essential oils that you can use to keep fibromyalgia under control.
Essential Oils For Fibromyalgia
Lavender essential oil has been used for centuries because of its health benefits. It is known for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antinociceptive properties.(1)
The application method for lavender oil may vary depending on your symptoms, but the common ways to use this essential oil include regional massage, compress, and bath. For issues such as fatigue, inhalation is also a viable method.
How to use it:
In case of muscle pains, here is how you go about using this essential oil.
- Mix 2 to 4 drops of lavender essential oil with the carrier oil that you would prefer, then massage it on the areas of your body that hurt.
- You can also mix a few drops of lavender oil in a bowl of hot water. Soak a towel, then utilize it as a compress to ease muscle pains
According to a 2016 study’s findings, lavender essential oil is an effective agent when it comes to relieving pain resulting from knee osteoarthritis. The pain relieving qualities of this oil has made it a popular option among the middle-aged and elderly persons.(2)
Besides, lavender essential oil can also be used in aromatherapy to help induce sleep. This means that it is the best for people with fibromyalgia because they experience problems with sleep. You can also use this oil to treat headaches by applying a drop of the oil on your temples, then gently massaging them.
Sandalwood essential oil is another effective remedy that can help you manage fibromyalgia. People with fibromyalgia often have issues related to the central nervous system such as anxiety, and sandalwood oil can be used to manage such conditions.
This oil mainly preferred for its use in aromatherapy, and its main application methods include inhalation, massaging, or adding it to baths.
How to use it:
Here’s how to use sandalwood essential oil
- Pour a few drops of sandalwood oil to a tissue or towel, then inhale it. You can also use a vaporizer or diffuser to distribute the scent throughout a room.
- Alternatively, you can add a few drops of sandalwood oil into a bowl of hot water. Soak a clean towel, then compress it on regions that you are experiencing muscular pains.
- You can also mix a few drops of sandalwood essential oil with a carrier oil such as avocado, sweet almond, or jojoba oils, then gently apply the mixture on your skin.
Before applying it to your skin, however, you should conduct a skin patch test because some people’s skins’ might get irritated through this method. It is also unwise to apply the oil in excessive. You should also refrain from taking this oil internally – the results are toxic.
Sandalwood essential oil is also quite effective when it comes to dealing with insomnia. That is because the oil has sedative qualities, which help people that find it hard to stay asleep.(3)
Peppermint oil has plenty of health benefits, including managing fibromyalgia. It has for long been used as a pain reliever among other remedies. Peppermint has menthol, which helps to bring about a cooling sensation that could help ease muscular pain.
It can also help to boost your stamina and alertness. Its main application methods include inhalation, massage, compress, and spot application.
How to use it:
Here’s how to go about using peppermint essential oil for fibromyalgia.
- To relieve pain, add two drops of peppermint essential oil to 10 ml of carrier oil such as almond or jojoba oil, then massage it on the affected areas.
- To stimulate the mind, you can spray or apply peppermint essential oil on a cotton ball or on furniture. Ensure to use a diffuser.
- Alternatively, you can smell it directly from the bottle or rub a drop on your hands then bring them close to your nose and breathe in.
Peppermint oil can help to improve your cognitive abilities, especially when you are experiencing difficulty in focusing. The oil helps in reasoning and boosts your memory when you inhale it. It also produces a calming effect to ease anxiety.
Muscular and joint pain associated with fibromyalgia can be very disturbing. Fortunately, you can use peppermint essential oil for pain relief. You can create a massage oil by mixing this essential oil with a carrier oil of your choice. It also helps to relieve headaches.
Ginger is mainly known for its use in flavoring food. However, when it is extracted to create ginger essential oil, it has numerous health benefits, and you can use it to manage fibromyalgia.
Ginger oil can manage this disorder because it has antinociceptive, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant qualities. You can use this essential oil through inhalation or massaging it on the affected areas.(4)
How to use it:
Ginger essential oil has no complexity when it comes to its usage.
- To relief joint and muscular pain, you need to mix two to three drops of ginger essential oil with another oil, then massage it on the affected part(s) two times a day. Ginger oil works well with frankincense, eucalyptus, rosemary, and all citrus oils.
- To elevate your mood, you can add two to three drops of ginger essential oil to a diffuser. Alternatively, you can inhale the oil at least twice a day.
According to study, ginger can be used to treat migraines, which happen to be a common symptom of fibromyalgia. It could even work more effectively than the painkillers you get from the chemist. This oil also works effectively in delivering relief from menstrual cramps.(5)
However, you need to know that ginger oil is a bit phototoxic, which means that it can irritate individuals that have sensitive skin. Doctors recommend for people to dilute this essential oil in a carrier oil before applying it.
People who have high blood pressure are advised against using ginger essential oil, while, pregnant women should consult a doctor before using this oil.
Eucalyptus essential oil is one of the most common essential oils that people use to relieve pain. According to a 2013 study, the oil works well in managing inflammation, swelling, and pain.(6)
The oil also has antioxidant effects. The common application methods of this essential oil include inhalation, bath, massage, and compress. You can also diffuse this oil.
How to use it:
There are different methods of using this essential oil depending on what you would like to treat.
- For headache relief, you can diffuse 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil or rub two to three drops of the oil on your temples or at the back of your neck.
- To relieve muscle pain, you need to apply two to three drops of the essential oil on the affected area(s). If you are catering to several parts, it is imperative for you to dilute the eucalyptus essential oil with a carrier oil.
- To boost your immune system, you should diffuse five drops
Eucalyptus essential oil has numerous benefits, including improving your immune response. That’s because it has a stimulatory effect. Traditionally, this oil was used for its analgesic qualities. Today, however, its use has diversified.(7)
You can use the oil to improve your concentration or to calm yourself. You can blend the essential oil with different carrier oils, and you are free to mix it with an oil that produces an aroma that you prefer.
Fibromyalgia is more likely to affect women, and it could cause intense menstrual cramps. According to a 2012 study, clary sage oil can be used effectively in aromatherapy as a menstrual pain reliever.(8)
The oil also has other numerous health benefits such as relieving stress, insomnia, and hormonal balance. The main application methods for this essential oil include inhalation, massage, adding to baths, and diffusing.(9)
How to use it:
- For aromatherapy and stress relief, you need to inhale clary sage essential oil or diffuse two to three drops of the oil.
- To relief joint pain and alleviate your mood, you should add three to five drops of this essential oil to warm bath water.
- For menstrual pain relief, you need to mix five drops of clary sage oil with five drops of carrier oil such as coconut or jojoba oil, then massage it on the abdomen.
- To enhance meditation, mix six drops of this essential oil with two drops of other essential oils such as orange and frankincense oils, then diffuse the mixture.
Clary sage essential oil can be used to treat chronic fatigue syndrome as well. The oil, however, is not meant for use by toddlers and infants. Pregnant women should also consult a doctor before using this essential oil, particularly in the first trimester because it can cause uterine contractions.
You should also ensure to conduct a skin sensitivity test before applying this oil on large areas. The oil should not be used during or after alcohol intake.
Fibromyalgia is a condition that has no cure, but it can be managed by using the essential oils reviewed above. Studies have shown that the oils are effective remedies for this disorder. They can help to relieve anxiety, enhance sleep, boost concentration, and alleviate chronic pain. It is recommended to consult a medical practitioner before using these essential oils for fibromyalgia.
Download your FREE Essential Oils Quick Reference Guide
Get instant access to your Essential Oils Quick Reference Guide.