- Do you feel like sometimes you struggle to take clear and easy breaths?
- Is your skin looking oily and lackluster?
- Are you burdened with a lack of focus and an uninspired mood?
Douglas Fir essential oil is derived from one of the most popular varieties of Christmas tree (1). In part, their powerful, woodsy aroma is what makes people choose this tree year after year to bring joy and festivity to their homes at the holidays.
When diffused, this essential oil encapsulates this essence of happiness and well-being at any time of the year.
In the wild, this conifer tree can grow to impressive heights, second only to the coastal redwood. These tall trees populate the Pacific Coast and like all forests behave as a lung of the earth.
The oil has similar properties and can assist in clearing your airways and makes your breathing feel easier.
In addition, it has other cleansing properties that can offer substantial benefits. It is gentle enough to be used on your skin (2), but in the right combination can also clean your hardwood floor.
What is Douglas Fir?
- Scientific Name: Pseudotsuga menziesii
- Application: Aromatic, topical
- Plant Part: Branch and Leaf
- Extraction Method: Steam distillation
- Aromatic Description: Woody, fresh, pure
- Main Chemical Components: B-pinene, a-pinene, 3-carvene, sabinene
- Helps encourage feelings of open airways and uncomplicated breathing
- Benefits the skin and assists in cleansing impurities
- Increases sense of focus and supports an uplifted mood
How to Use Douglas Fir Essential Oil
This essential oil can be used in numerous ways to achieve the maximum benefits. You can tailor your usage to fit your particular situation and the results you are trying to achieve.
Directions for Use:
When diffusing use, three or four drops in the diffuser of your choice. When using topically, one to two drops is usually sufficient to achieve the best results.
Douglas Fir Essential Oil Uses
- Aromatic Use: Diffuse it on its own to freshen the air in your home and to brighten your mood. Combine with a citrus oil, like lemon or wild orange, to create an even more festive and uplifting aroma.
- Topical Use: Simply rub a few drops of it on your hands and inhale to deeply cleanse airways. You can also add a drop to your facial cleanser, to boost cleansing and purify skin.
- Internal Use: It is not to be taken internally.
Douglas Fir Essential Oil Health Benefits
- It can help clarify your skin and cleanse it of impurities-Instead of relying on harsh chemicals to try to balance out problem skin, a drop of this in the cleanser you are already using, assists in detoxifying the skin.
- Diffuse it to boost your mood and increase your sense of focus-The fresh, woody aroma is perfect for invoking forests and nature. Much like exposure to the outdoors itself, this scent can help ground you when the chaos of everyday life is getting overwhelming.
- Use it to support clear breathing and encourage open airways-You can simply rub a few drops of oil onto your hands, cup them around your face and breathe deeply to utilize this benefit. You can also combine it with peppermint, eucalyptus, and a carrier oil to create a respiratory rub for your chest.
- Create a holiday room spray-Real Christmas trees have a beautiful aroma, but they also need to be watered, drop needles all over your house and can even be full of nature’s creatures that you do not necessarily want to share your space with. Embrace your artificial tree and still get that special scent by combining with white fir and clove in a spray bottle. Fill the rest of the bottle with water and mist away!
- Create a cleaner for floors and other surfaces- Take one gallon of warm water, add 2 tablespoon liquid castile, 5 drops of douglas fir, 5 drops of white fir, 5 drops of cypress and 10 drops of lemon. Give the combination a quick mix to combine. This can be used on floors, countertops, and other surfaces.
Douglas Fir Essential Oil Research
The tree is named after a famous Scottish botanist, David Douglas who identified some of its special properties in the early 1800s (3).
This tree is native to North America and in addition to being a Christmas favorite; it is also heavily used in the timber industry (4).
For this reason, the tree was imported to New Zealand where it has since gotten out of control and become an invasive species. Douglas fir essential oil that is sourced from trees cut down in New Zealand provides an environmentally friendly alternative to simply letting these trees go to waste.
Douglas Fir Essential Oil Nutrition
Since this essential oil cannot be ingested, it does not have any direct nutritional benefits.
There are, however, benefits to be reaped from long-term use in other ways. It should be added to your daily beauty regimen in order to have the greatest impact on your complexion.
Ongoing use in a cleanser will do the most to tackle impurities and leave the skin feeling fresh and pure.
You can also diffuse it throughout the holiday season to boost your mood and create a welcoming environment. In fact, extended use at any time of year can make your home feel crisp and natural.
When using it as part of a surface cleaner you can use it frequently without worry. Unlike many mass produced cleaners, it is safe and non-toxic. This makes it perfect for repeated use.
Douglas Fir Essential Oil Safety
It is safe for aromatic and topical use. It is not to be taken internally. Diffuse as much and as often as you like. When using topically it is not necessary to dilute it with a carrier oil, but those prone to skin sensitivity may prefer to do so.
Always test in a small area for sensitivity before widespread use. Keep this and all essential oil out of the reach of children.
If you are pregnant or nursing consult your doctor before use. Keep away from your eyes and use caution when inhaling to prevent direct contact with your nose.
Douglas Fir Essential Oil Substitutes
You can use this oil to replace other skin purifying products in your beauty routine.
It is derived from nature, not harsh chemicals and when added to your existing cleanser reduces the need for other pricey, specialist products.
In addition, it can replace surface cleansers in your kitchen and especially on your floors.
Instead of buying a mass produced floor cleaner that is scented with fake pine you can use the actual essence of a tree instead! You can also ditch the hassles of a real Christmas tree and diffuse or spray the essential oil to create the same woodsy aroma.
Douglas Fir Essential Oil Blends Well With
There are many options for other essential oils to blend with this one. To create a pine scented cleaner combine it with white fir, cypress, and lemon.
This combination of evergreen trees and lemon is guaranteed to fight grime and make your house smell great.
You can combine 10 drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus and douglas fir with a cup of fractionated coconut oil to create an invigorating homemade respiratory rub.
This is particularly potent because all three oils help to promote clear breathing and support healthy respiratory function.
In addition, eucalyptus helps clear the mind which helps improve focus.
In a diffuser, it can be combined with other related scents like juniper berry and cypress to evoke nature and the forest.
It also mixes well with citrus scents like lemon, wild orange or bergamot. This fir, citrus combination is particularly inviting. The aroma is invigorating and refreshing.
If you have been struggling with dull, lackluster skin this is a great secret weapon to add to your cleanser.
It works to purify the skin and bring out the natural beauty that may have been hiding. When inhaled directly or used in a respiratory rub, it helps promote easy breathing.
Its chemical makeup assists airways in feeling clear and its unique aroma is invigorating and uplifting.
When diffused or inhaled it creates an upbeat mood and purifies the air.
At holiday time it also generates a festive and positive atmosphere. When used as a surface cleanser it is effective and chemical free.
Many users of douglas fir essential oil can attest to its purifying and cleansing properties. If you use it as part of a cleansing routine on your floors or your face, you will be able to see the results for yourself. At this time, however, scientific studies have not been undertaken to prove the effectiveness of it.
More research must be done to establish the validity of any particular claims made about this oil. Until then, the Food and Drug Administration has not approved this product to diagnose, treat or cure or prevent any disease.
Download your FREE Essential Oils Quick Reference Guide
Get instant access to your Essential Oils Quick Reference Guide.